Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

I officially love Cinder. The only problem was that it was predictable, though that may be just me. The main character had one off to the side thought and I immediately knew the whole plot. Seriously, I knew something by chapter 8 that the main character found out on the absolute last page. Though I loved the build-up. If I hadn't figured out what was going on, I would have been even more pulled in.

The main character is named Cinder. She is a very strong heroine (and a cyborg-awesomesauce!) She's been pushed out of society and she would like to be accepted, but it's not her mission in life, which I like. Though she does swoon over this guy...oh well, I would too. I'm pretty sure almost any teen/tween reader would, though some of it does get a little too weird (seriously, emperors?) Cinder is also very loyal. She continually takes great risks to make sure her stepsister, not even blood related, is all right. Is that dedication or what?

Cinder takes place in another country, which I like. Most books I read take place in America or made up magical countries where some evil king is killing everybody and hates magic (happens every time, what are we going to do with all these evil kings I ask you). Some books take place in England or the lead guy has an English accent, but that's just about it. This takes place in a future China, and though it's not a super accurate look at their society, it really makes me feel as though I've traveled farther than my bedroom door. All in all, it's an amazing book. I give it 4.5 stars (sorry foreshadowing).

Synopsis:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless Lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows Earth's fate hinges on one girl...

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Release: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Series: Lunar Chronicles
Pages: 400

No comments:

Post a Comment