Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

I actually read Starcrossed ages ago. I've been rereading it ever since. Seriously, I've reread the book more times than I can count. And you can totally tell by how worn the copy is. The book is amazing. Like, seriously amazing. As in, my favorite book of ALL time! It has been my favorite for a while now. I've probably read it so many times, I could recite most of it, that's how awesome it is. It's plot is intricate, and it's impossible to see the end coming. There are some predictable things, but what book doesn't have something predictable? Josephine Angelini kept me on my toes the entire time!

The main character is Helen Hamilton. She is strong inside, but is so self-concious about how much she sticks out, she doesn't notice. Anyone who sees her, including the reader, can tell she's meant for great and wonderful things, she just doesn't see it at first. But as the book progresses, and even more in the sequel, Helen grows stronger and more self-assured. She is a heroin anyone can admire. I know I do. She has problems in front of her, and tasks not many could complete, and yet she comes out stronger. I don't know how Josephine Angelini does it, but Helen is one of the best portrayed characters I've seen.

The plot of this book is great. As I said before, I was kept on my toes the entire time. Once you've read the second book, Dreamless, you can reread Starcrossed and catch a lot of foreshadowing. I severely enjoyed the book. I've read the book again and again, along with loaned it to anyone who will read it, and every one of them has loved the book. For more info on the book and series go to Josie's website and Facebook page. I give these books are hearty five stars.

Synopsis:

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.


Title: Starcrossed
Author: Josephine Angelini
Release: May 31, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: Starcrossed
Pages: 496

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...